Originally published every Friday at www.click2view.asia.
This week I have mostly been reading about the revenge of analog on paper, vinyl and film because, despite the ubiquity of digital, analog is still a choice and an increasingly valuable one due to its quality and scarcity. Let me know what you think about analog in the comments below, or maybe send me a messenger pigeon because #analog.
- Podcast from the author of The Revenge of Analog: Why Real Things Matter on why apparently antiquated technologies are in vogue again and what that means for content creators: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2017/03/23/podcast-289-revenge-analog/
- On the same theme, Kodak (remember them?!) are releasing a brand new Super 8 camera of the type that Spielberg, Scorsese and even Nolan used to make their earliest films. This camera will combine a modern flip out screen with a classic Super 8 gun handle or top handle for control. I for one can’t wait to get my hands on one these babies! See specs and test footage here: http://www.kodak.com/US/en/Consumer/Products/Super8/Super8-camera/default.htm
- “Print is dead!”, we’ve heard it a thousand times but Newspaper Club is here to save it by combining digital layout technology with old skool printing techniques that have enabled the rise of indie magazine publishers and the resurrection of local newspapers: https://www.newspaperclub.com/.
- Now for something completely digital! Shaking Chains have created an AI-powered music video that changes with every play, but how does their attempt rank in the pantheon of music industry gimmickry? The Guardian has compiled a list of the most innovative music videos of all time ending with Shaking Chains here: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/mar/30/gimme-gimme-gimmicks-the-innovations-that-changed-music-videos
- And for the feels watch this inspirational video from Casey Neistat entitled “Do What You Can’t”, which got the hairs on the back of my neck a-fluttering…
P.S. Did you know it’s the extension of a concept he created for Samsung’s Oscars commercial? https://youtu.be/uX5mtNHRjA0.