Originally published every Friday at www.click2view.asia.
This week I am interested in innovation, the great fetish of our industry, but is innovation always a good thing? Er…no, not always, as you can see from this list of failures and frighteners. But what this list also proves is that failure and fear can be the source of a great story so let’s not forget to look in those dark places to uncover compelling content:
- Would you pay US$700 for a juicer? No? What if it could apply four tons of pressure to nutritionally balanced sachets of fruit, that are delivered to your door, to ensure maximum nutritional output? Still no? Well done, you won’t be fooled into buying the Juicero, which raised S$120million in VC before a Bloomberg reporter realised you get the same results simply squeezing the sachets by hand: http://gizmodo.com/juicero-ceo-begs-you-do-not-open-our-juice-bags-1794507811
- The Juicero, it seems, is destined to join the other exhibits at the Museum of Failure due to open in Sweden next month. The museum showcases innovation’s greatest failures including Colgate Beef Lasagna, Harely Davidson cologne and, my personal favourite, Bic pens made especially for the ladies: http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/04/25/the-museum-of-failure-is-a-showcase-of-the-greatest-innovation-f_a_22048533/
- One innovation we can only hope ends up in the Museum of Failure is the sex robot – think I’m kidding? #sextech is a US$30billion industry, its about to unveil its game-changer and she’s the star of this incredible documentary from The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/27/race-to-build-world-first-sex-robot
- Our final innovation fail comes from Facebook whose Live product was designed for us to “share heartwarming life moments” but has also been used to broadcast two live murders so far. With their VR and AR products in the pipeline, how responsible is Facebook for the content its user’s create and share? https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/25/facebook-live-mark-zuckerberg-murder-video-thailand
- Finally, from failure to success; these are the winners of this year’s Webby awards celebrating innovation on the Internet. Get inspired: https://www.fastcompany.com/40411830/here-are-the-winners-of-the-21st-annual-webby-awards
Read Moore is an essential weekend reading list for content makers and marketers from me and www.click2view.asia.